This easy zucchini pizza recipe is the perfect vegetarian meal when you’re craving a slice. Fresh dough is topped with a savory red sauce, mozzarella cheese, and thin slices of zucchini. The pie is baked until the crust is crispy and cheese is hot and bubbly.
Homemade Zucchini Pizza
If you’re looking for a quick dinner idea that the whole family will enjoy, make a pizza! This is a tasty vegetarian option, letting the summer squash shine. The zucchini is thinly sliced, evenly placed around the dough, and then seasoned with Italian herbs and savory seasonings.
How to Make Zucchini Pizza:
- If using fresh dough, let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to make it easier to toss.
- Grease a baking sheet with olive oil and sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Shape the pizza dough into a 12-inch circle on the baking sheet.
- Evenly spread on the pizza sauce, shredded cheese, zucchini, Italian seasonings, salt and pepper.
- Bake at 500ºF until the crust is golden brown and crisp, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Sprinkle it with red pepper flakes and parmesan cheese.
- Slice and serve the pizza while hot and the cheese is melted.
I use my super easy homemade pizza dough recipe to make the dish from scratch. It yields two pies that have irresistible crispiness, and only takes about an hour to prepare! Or if you are in a pinch for time, store-bought crusts can be used. Look for 1 pound of fresh dough or the 10 to 12-inch wide pre-baked rounds.
More Ways to Cook a Pizza:
Baking the pizza on a large sheet pan yields a larger pie and gives you more flexibility on the size, shape, and thickness. However, for an extra crispy crust, you can bake the pizza in a large cast-iron skillet. You can also grill the pizza dough, flip over, then add the toppings and heat until the toppings are hot and bubbly.
Other Topping Suggestions:
To switch up this recipe, other ingredients can be used to pair with the zucchini. Slice up some yellow squash, red onions, or bell peppers for extra color and crunch. Add some mushrooms for a more savory taste. Sprinkle on some creamy feta, goat, or ricotta cheese. Add some pungency with marinated artichoke hearts or briny olives.
Looking for More Pizza Inspired Recipes? Try these!
- Olive oil for brushing
- Cornmeal optional
- 1 pound fresh pizza dough store-bought or homemade
- ½ cup pizza sauce or marinara sauce
- 1 cup 4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup thinly sliced zucchini ⅛-inch thick about 22 slices
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasonings
- kosher salt as needed for seasoning
- black pepper as needed for seasoning
- Red pepper flakes for garnish, optional
- Shaved parmesan cheese for garnish
- If using store-bought pizza dough, allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, stretch and shape the dough into a 10-inch circle.
- Transfer dough to the baking sheet. Use fingers to press into a 12-inch circle. Leave the edges slightly thicker, about ½-inch tall and wide.
- Brush some olive oil on the edges of the dough to make the crust crispier when baked.
- Spread the sauce on top, followed by the cheese, and zucchini. Sprinkle the Italian seasonings on top, and some salt and pepper.
- Bake the pizza on the lowest oven rack until the crust is golden brown, and the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Sprinkle some red pepper flakes (if using) and parmesan cheese on top.
- Slice and serve pizza immediately when still hot.