White Chicken Chili is loaded with beans, chicken, green chilies and the most luscious creamy broth. A twist on a classic that’s perfect for a cold day. Serve it up with corn bread and a salad and your set for a satisfying comfort meal.
White Chicken Chili Recipe
There’s nothing better than a bowl of hearty soup on a cold day. This white chicken chili is loaded with flavor and texture, and it’s ready in just 30 minutes! Serve this white chili with a variety of toppings or a side of cornbread for a meal the whole family is sure to love.
It’s such a different kind of chili and perfect for those who aren’t fond of beef or can’t tolerate the acid of tomatoes, but love that chili flavor. The creamy broth is deceptively spicy and mild at the same time. It’s a satisfying Mexican zesty soup that will warm you from the inside out.
White Bean Chicken Chili Ingredients
Nothing super fancy here combine for a fantastic flavor!
- Olive Oil: To sauté the chicken onion and garlic
- Onion: Chop the onion
- Garlic: Minced garlic is best for flavor distribution
- Chicken: You can use skinless boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- Cumin: Classic Mexican seasoning
- Coriander: Adds a wonderful flavor
- Salt and Pepper: add more or less to taste
- Chicken Broth: Can substitute vegetable broth
- Green chilies: Canned chopped green chilies drained
- White Beans: White beans are often called Great Northern beans
- Sour Cream: This adds a deep richness and creaminess
Making Easy White Chicken Chili
Super easy for such a marvelous soup!
- Sauté: Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until translucent.
- Add: Put the chicken in the pot along with the cumin, coriander, salt and pepper.
- Cook:, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add: the chicken broth, green chiles and beans to the pot; bring to a simmer.
- Cook: for 10 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and whisk in the sour cream.
- Serve: immediately with toppings of your choice.
Tips and Variations for the Best Chili
- Dice: Keep your chicken the same bite sized pieces to cook evenly.
- To Drain or not to Drain: This recipe calls to drain your green chilies but I often don’t. I like the extra kick of spice it adds to the broth. There isn’t that much to drain off either, so it’s easier to just dump it all in.
- Heat: If you really want to spice it up you can use medium or hot chilies or even canned diced jalapenos
- Toppings: Cheese, sour cream, avocado, cilantro, tomatoes, corn and tortilla strips are all favorite toppings.
- Beans: I like to use the smaller great northern beans but you can also use white kidney or cannellini beans if you prefer.
- Slow Cooker: To use a slow cooker, add everything to the slow cooker except the sour cream and cook on high for 4-6 or low 8-10. When done turn it off and add the sour cream, let it sit for about 10 min till heated through.
- Instant Pot: Cook in the instant pot add everything but the sour cream and beans. Cook on manual for 20 min. Natural release for 10 min. Remove the chicken and shred. Return to the pot and add beans and sour cream. Allow to heat through for about 15 min and serve.
- Fridge: The soup keeps fantastically in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Freeze: You can freeze this soup. Cook as recipe instructs except do not add the sour cream. Freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge. Heat on the stove top on medium till hot. Add the sour cream, stir till heated and serve.
More Chili Recipes to Love
- Chili Lime Chicken Wings
- Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Chili
- Slow Cooker Cream Cheese Chicken Chili
- Grilled Sweet Chili Lime Chicken
- Chili Dogs
White Chicken Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups chicken, cooked rotisserie works great
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 4 ounce can green chiles drained
- 2 15 ounce cans white beans such as great northern beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup sour cream
- Assorted toppings such as cheese tortilla strips, chopped cilantro and avocado.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until translucent.
- Add the chicken to the pot along with the cumin, coriander, salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken broth, green chiles and beans to the pot; bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 10 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and whisk in the sour cream.
- Serve immediately with toppings of your choice.
Originally Posted on December 9, 2017