Walking Tacos are quick and easy deconstructed tacos that are made and served right in a chip bag. Great for active parties or on the go meals because they are filling and fast!
Easy Walking Tacos
Walking tacos remind me of a taco salad, just in a handy, portable bag. These are definitely a huge hit at sleepovers or campsites where no one wants to slow down long enough to sit down while they eat. Pack them with fresh, healthy toppings like avocado and lean ground beef to ensure they are not only fun and fast, but filling too!
This is the best kid friendly meal ever! Not only because it includes their favorite chips, but also because cleanup is a breeze. Each bag can be filled with their favorite ingredients and adapted to fit even the pickiest eater. The best part is this meal only uses one dish. So, helping with dishes has never been easier!
Just 3 main ingredients get these amazing walking tacos started. Then, just add on however many additional toppings your family would like. Make these as simple or dynamic as you like, you can’t go wrong!
- Ground beef: Lean ground beef is best because it makes less grease in the taco meat.
- Taco Seasoning: Homemade taco seasoning is amazing or use store bought in a pinch.
- Small bags of chips: Frito chips are my favorite, but Doritos also are great!
- Optional toppings: Sliced tomatoes, sliced olives, shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, sour cream, sliced avocado.
How to Make a Taco Bag:
Walking tacos are so simple to make and only use one pan. After cooking your ground beef and adding seasoning, all you have to do is add your favorite toppings. Clean up is just as easy as the preparation, which makes for a perfectly stress free meal.
- Cook beef: In a medium sized skillet cook and crumble the ground beef.
- Add seasoning: Add in 2 tablespoons taco seasoning, then simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Assemble the walking tacos: Add ground beef and favorite toppings to the bag of chips.
How to Eat Walking Tacos:
Eating walking tacos is super quick and convenient. The best part about walking tacos is their versatility and portability. They can be easily made in ways that are unique to each person. Here are some secrets to make your walking tacos even easier to enjoy!
- Crush your chips first: While they are still in the bag, crunch up the doritos to make them easier to scoop up.
- Cut the side of the bag open: Instead of opening the bag of chips at the top, cut or tear down the side of the bag to create a bigger space to dip into the delicious taco mixture.
- Mix ingredients with the chips: Add all ingredients directly into the bag. Start with your seasoned taco meat, then add your favorite mix-ins like pico de gallo, guacamole or avocado slices, sour cream, cheese, and salsa. Finally, stir it all together, then dip straight into the bag and enjoy!
- Camping: This is seriously the most perfect camping food. Make the meat ahead and freeze. Then thaw and heat over the grill/fire with a bit of water. Build your taco using ingredients you love and toss the bag in the garbage for cleanup.
- Storing: Pack your ground beef separately from the toppings. Let it cool completely before sealing in airtight foil. Keep it in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or the freezer for up to 3 months. Simply reheat in the microwave or on the stove-top with a bit of water.
More Taco Recipes:
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 Tablespoons homemade taco seasoning
- 4-5 bags frito chips (Doritos also are great)
- sliced tomatoes
- sliced olives
- shredded lettuce
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- avocado sliced