Vegetable Egg Rolls are filled with colorful, crunchy flavorful veggies and fried till golden crispy brown. These are a homemade take on a classic take out favorite. Super easy and so delectable you’ll never buy them again!
Easy Vegetable Egg Rolls
These are so satisfying with their crunchy savory insides and crispy golden outsides. It’s truly an explosion of texture and flavor. Everyone loves finger food and these vegetable egg rolls are certainly a favorite. Take them to a party, make them for a special dinner or just because, they will be the hit of the party.
The best part of this recipe is how simple and easy it is. Who knew right?! It’s even simple to roll them so don’t stress it. I’ve got pictures to show you exactly how. Once you make these, you’ll do it again and again.
Egg Rolls Ingredients
Fresh tasty vegetables fill these delish bites size egg rolls. The combination of sweet and savory is irresistible!
- Oil for Frying: Peanut or Canola oil are great for frying
- Purple Cabbage: Adds color and crunch
- Green Cabbage: Classic cabbage used in egg rolls
- Mushrooms: Adds richness and umami flavor
- Red Bell Pepper: Love the vibrant red and taste in these.
- Green Pepper: Sturdy pepper for frying
- Carrots: Shred your own or buy pre packed shredded carrots.
- Soy Sauce: Use regular or low sodium soy sauce.
- Sesame Oil: Savory and extremely flavorful
- Egg Roll Wraps: Find in the refrigerated section of your produce area.
Making Egg Rolls
Super simple and quick vegetable egg rolls come together easily. Combined the vegetable filling and enjoy a fun main dish or appetizer!
- Mix: In a medium sized bowl add the cabbages mushrooms, bell peppers, carrots, soy sauce, and sesame oil and mix to fully coated.
- Fill: Lay the egg roll wrappers on a clan surface. Spoon the mixture in to the middle. Fold like a burrito and seal the edges with a little bit of water.
- Fry: In a medium sized skillet heat 1/2 inch of oil to 350 degrees. Place the egg rolls seal side down first and fry 2-3 minutes. Flip and fry on other side till golden and crispy brown. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with a paper towel. Serve with dipping sauce of choice.
Tips and Variations for Veggie Egg Rolls
One of the things I love about this recipe is how versatile it is. Mix it up and make it your own combination of egg rolls. You can’t go wrong with these vegetable egg rolls.
- Veggies: You can mix and match the vegetables to your liking. Use a Coleslaw premix, or Broccoli slaw, edamame and or green onions, go ahead experiment!
- Heat: Add fresh garlic and ginger for a nice kick
- Sauté: If it’s too crunchy for you, sauté your veggies first to soften them to your liking.
- Chop: Cut your veggies to the same size and keep bite sized for easier eating.
- More: If you sauté your vegetables first, you can add mung bean sprouts, or noodles to add more texture.
- Cover: After you open the egg roll wrappers, cover them with a damp paper towel to keep them moist. They dry out fast.
- Serve: Pick your favorite sauce to go with these, from simple soy sauce to sweet Thai chili sauce.
Bake and Storing Egg Rolls
- Baking: Frying is best but if you’d like to bake these place in a single layer on a lightly greased baking sheet. Lightly brush the outsides with vegetable oil. Cook in a preheated oven at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes, flipping once half way through. They will be golden but not a deep brown and probably not as crispy but still oh so good!
- Storing: These are truly best eaten fresh from the fryer, once they’ve cooled of course. But if you do have left overs let them cool completely and store with layers of paper towel in between to absorb any moisture. Vegetable Egg rolls will keep about 2-3 days in the fridge. When ready to reheat, place in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees. They’ll be tasty, just not as crispy.
More Tasty Asian Recipes to Serve with Egg Rolls
Make an Asian dinner extravaganza with these main dishes paired with these egg rolls.
- Skinny Slow Cooker Kung Pao
- Sweet and Sour Shrimp
- Easy Moo Goo Gai Pan
- Firecracker Chicken
- Thai Sesame Peanut Sauce Noodles
Vegetable Egg Rolls
- Fill a medium sized skillet with about 1/2 inch of oil and preheat to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl add the cabbage, mushrooms, bell peppers, carrots, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Mix together until the sauce is coating the vegetables.
- Lay the egg roll wraps on a clean the surface. Spoon the mixture to the middle of the wrap. Start by folding up the bottom corner, then fold in the sides and roll up and seal with water on the edge.
- Fry for 2-3 minutes or until golden and crispy brown. Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and lay on a paper towel lined plate. Serve with soy sauce for dipping if desired.