Sweet and Sour Meatballs are juicy, full of flavor and tossed in a delicious sweet and sour sauce. We added bell peppers and onions too!
Sweet and Sour Meatballs
We are big fans of meatballs around here and usually make them every few days. Meatballs have the advantage over many other dishes because they can be made a few days ahead and stored in the fridge till you are ready to toss them in sauce and serve. Or bake them and freeze them, so you just have heat and serve. And they can be made with a variety of ingredients – beef, pork, turkey or chicken.
Keep these Meatballs Juicy:
- The joy of breaking apart a juicy meatball with a fork is something else. So to keep these meatballs juicy, here are my top tips:
- Grate the onions or mince them really finely. They add juiciness and flavour to the meatballs, and this way you won’t get big chunks of onions when you eat them
- Don’t overwork the mixture, so that it’s still light and airy
- Bake the meatballs on a high temperature so that they cook fast and remain juicy inside
Sweet and Sour Sauce
The sweet and sour sauce used to toss these meatballs in really easy to put together. It’s made with a few, easily available pantry ingredients. You’ll need pineapple juice, sugar, apple cider vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, cornstarch and salt. Whisk them together in a bowl and just simmer the sauce for a few minutes. This sauce can be made and stored in the fridge for a week.
That sauce is absolutely amazing. It’ll make your lips pucker at its sourness, and will keep you wanting more. To balance it out, I also love using red and yellow bell peppers, and diced onions. You can add some tinned pineapple and sprinkle chopped green onions on top for extra freshness. If you want to add more veggies, add some broccoli or sugar snap peas. And thin the sauce with some water if you need to.
If you are in a hurry, feel free to use frozen meatballs but these are infinitely better with soft, juicy, homemade meatballs.
More Sweet and Sour Recipes
- Sweet and Sour Shrimp
- Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken with Peppers and Pineapple
- Sweet and Sour Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
Sweet and Sour Meatballs
For the meatballs
- 1/2 pound Beef mince
- 1/2 pound Pork mince
- 1 Onion grated or finely minced
- 3/4 cup Breadcrumbs
- 1 Egg whisked
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground Black Pepper
For the Sauce
- 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Pineapple Juice
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon Cornstarch
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- 1 cup Red and Yellow Bell Peppers cubed
- 1 Onion cubed
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
- Once the meatballs are cooked, heat oil in a skillet. Add the bell peppers and onions and toss on high heat for about two minutes. Add the meatballs and the sauce and bring this to a quick simmer. The sauce should start to thicken. Simmer for another 4-5 minutes and turn off the flame. Thin the sauce with a little water if required. Serve hot.