Slow cooker chicken tikka masala is an easy sweet and spicy sauce that is thick, rich, and creamy. It is so flavorful with spices like garam masala, paprika, and even cinnamon! It’s not too spicy and perfect served over rice and with a side of naan.
I love a good slow cooker recipe! Slow cookers are good for so many reasons, but my favorite reason is how easy they make making a full meal. You can throw everything in the crock pot and have a delicious and flavorful meal in a few hours. If you love slow cooker recipes, you should try these Slow Cooker Beef Tips, this delicious Slow Cooker Jambalaya, and this quick and easy Slow Cooker Lasagna.
Chicken Tikka Masala Slow Cooker
The hubby and I went to an amazing Indian restaurant last year. I always get the butter chicken and I realized I had never tried anything else! I ordered the chicken tikka masala and I was blown away! The spices were incredible. I was so glad to try something new and love it!
I knew right away that I had to make a slow cooker recipe! The flavor of the dish is really complex and usually requires a few hours on the stove to blend together. The slow cooker is the perfect solution for being short on time! I love all of my slow cooker recipes on my blog, but this one just might be my favorite! I love serving this with coconut rice, or instant pot rice when I need to be totally hands-off.
Don’t let this ingredient list scare you away! It is mostly spices and things that you will already have on hand. This slow cooker chicken tikka masala is simple to put together and throw in the crock pot. The slow cooker is going to do it all for you. Simply add in all the ingredients together in a certain order and you will be AMAZED once you serve it! You can find the measurements below in the recipe card.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts: The chicken does not need to be cooked prior to adding in the slow cooker, it is that simple!
- Onion: Even if you are not an onion fan like myself, this is actually a small and subtle hint of flavor in this chicken tikka masala recipe.
- Garlic: Always a favorite in my book!
- Ginger: Fresh and grated. Using a grater with the smallest grated holes is best.
- Tomato Puree: This is the base and does turn the sauce to a orange/red color.
- Plain Greek Yogurt: I am a huge fan on using yogurt when possible. It is rich, thick and creamy with an extra flavor.
- Olive Oil: Adds flavor as well as richness to this creamy sauce.
- Heavy Cream: Thick, flavorful cream that adds flavor and texture.
- Cornstarch: Finely coats the chicken and helps to thicken the sauce.
- Cilantro: Chopped and used for a garnish.
- Garam Masala: This is a special seasoning with a blend of seasons within it. This seasoning will add warmth and sweetness to the sauce.
- Cumin: This spice is perfect for using in a curry mixture.
- Paprika: Adding a little bit of spice to this is a fun touch!
- Salt and Pepper: Just a pinch.
- Cinnamon: A secret ingredient that adds so much flavor and sweetness!
- Cayenne Pepper: A little extra heat added to the sauce.
- Bay Leaves: This is strictly for flavoring and soaking in throughout the slow cooker process. Before serving, you will remove the bay leaves.
Recipe for Chicken Tikka Masala Slow Cooker
This slow cooker chicken tikka masala is so simple to make and is effortless in so many ways. Simply mix together the tikka masala sauce, then add the chicken. It is basic and no extra prepping or cooking. Within hours you will be smelling a delicious dinner that will be hands down one of the BEST you make!
- Mix together sauce: In your slow cooker combine onion, garlic, ginger, tomato puree, greek yogurt, olive oil, garam masala, cumin, paprika, salt, cinnamon, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Add in chicken and cook: Add in the chicken pieces and then toss to coat in the sauce. Then add in the bay leaves. Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Mix and cook a little longer: During the last 20 minutes of cooking, whisk together cornstarch and heavy cream. Then add in to the sauce and continue to cook for another 20 minutes.
- Serve: Serve over rice.
Tips for Making Chicken Tikka Masala
This slow cooker chicken tikka masala is so easy! There really isn’t anything to it. I just wanted to share some tips that I think will be helpful when you go to make this dish.
- Finding the Spices: Garam masala should be in the spice section of your local grocery store. You will probably be able to find it in a powder or liquid form. I use powdered spices, but there are a lot of benefits to the liquid one too! You can use whatever you like best. If you can’t find garam masala, all-spice mixed with cumin is a great substitute! You will mix 1 part cumin with ¼ part all-spice.
- Serve with Naan: To get the full restaurant experience, you will definitely want to make some naan. It is a great bread to make at home, or you can get some premade naan at the store. Whatever you do, just make sure it’s on the table!
- Make It Dairy Free: You can substitute coconut milk for plain yogurt and heavy cream in this recipe. You will get a slightly different flavor but it will still be amazing. You will want to get the coconut milk in a can that still has all the coconut fat in it.
I love this slow cooker chicken tikka masala recipe so much because it makes great leftovers! It is an easy recipe to make a big batch of and have leftovers throughout the week.
- In the Refrigerator: You can store your leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- In the Freezer: You can freeze your leftovers for up to 3 months in a plastic bag or freezer safe airtight container.
Other Slow Cooker Recipes to Try
In my opinion, you can never have too many slow cooker recipes in your recipe book! They are great when you are in a rush and don’t have a lot of time in the evenings to make dinner. All of these recipes are tried and true, and I think your family will love them just as much as mine does!
Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup
Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh ginger grated
- 1 29 oz can tomato puree
- 1½ cups plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons Garam Masala
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- ½ Tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ Tablespoon cornstarch
- cilantro chopped for garnish
- In your slow cooker combine onion, garlic, ginger, tomato puree, greek yogurt, olive oil, garam masala, cumin, paprika, salt, cinnamon, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Add in the chicken pieces and toss to coat in the sauce. Add in the bay leaves. Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
- During the last 20 minutes of cooking, whisk together cornstarch and heavy cream. Add in to the sauce and continue to cook for another 20 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
Updated Post on February 5, 2020
Original Post on October 6, 2014