Fresh crisp romaine lettuce, large shaved parmesan cheese, crunchy croutons and a creamy dressing make this Caesar Salad a MUST make. Caesar salad goes with so many things and it’s always a family favorite.
This salad is on a whole new level when you make your own Homemade Croutons and with this Authentic Caesar Dressing. It will forever change the way you eat Caesar Salad. You’ll make it for every meal!
My Favorite Caesar Salad Recipe
The reason this is my absolute favorite is really because of the Homemade Croutons and Dressing. It’s so fresh and vibrant and easy to throw together. Everyone loves a good Caesar Salad. It’ll rival the best restaurant’s Caesar Salad for sure.
The best thing about this Salad is that goes with everything. From soups to BBQ, if you need a quick salad to balance out your meal, this is it. Caesar Salad’s unique flavor and ingredients compliment any main dish. It’s always a favorite.
Caesar Salad Ingredients
- Romaine lettuce: Make sure your romaine is crisp and fresh.
- Parmesan Cheese: I prefer Shaved Parmesan, do it yourself or buy it pre-shaved.
- Caesar Dressing: Making your own Authentic recipe is the best way to go.
- Croutons: Homemade croutons are the only way to go.
Assembling my Favorite Caesar
- Lettuce: If you are using bagged chopped Romaine, make sure your pieces are of equal size. If you use heads of romaine, chop your lettuce into bite sized pieces, wash thoroughly and drain. Pat it dry with paper towels.
- Cheese: Add the cheese and toss gently to distribute
- Right before Serving: Add the dressing and toss to coat, start with less then you think you need and add more to your liking. Last add those crunchy croutons.
Where Did Caesar Salad Come From?
- An Italian Chef is to thank for this incredible creation, not a Roman emperor. Chef Caesar Cardini immigrated to the United States and opened a restaurant in San Diego California and then later in Tijuana Mexico in the 1920’s. On a particularly busy 4th of July weekend, he was running low on supplies and out of desperation created the signature Caesar Salad.
- Julia Child, who visited Caesar’s restaurant with her parents, recounts how Caesar himself rolled a big cart up to their table, and made a Caesar salad for the family. She says, “It was a sensation of a salad from coast to coast, and there were even rumblings of its success in Europe.” (From Julia Child’s Kitchen, 1975).
Variations and Tips
- Protein: Turn this into a main dish by adding chicken, fish, steak, chickpeas or hard boiled eggs.
- Veggies: Feel free to add more veggies, it won’t be classic but will still taste yummy. Add tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, radishes or avocado.
- Ahead of time: Prep all the ingredients ahead of time but do not assemble till ready to serve to avoid soggy limp croutons and lettuce. I always use the rule less is more when it comes to dressing. Start with less and add more as needed
- Storage: Leftovers do not store well as the croutons will go limp and the lettuce could go soggy. If you’re afraid you’ll have leftovers serve the dressing and croutons on the side so you can save the lettuce and cheese for another day.
More Tasty Romaine Salads
Romaine lettuce is such a great lettuce to use.
Caesar Salad Recipe
Fresh crisp romaine lettuce, large shaved parmesan cheese, crunchy croutons and a creamy dressing make this Caesar Salad a must make. Caesar salad goes with so many things and it’s always a family favorite.
Course Dinner, Main Course, Salad, Side Dish
Cuisine American, Italian, Italian American
Keyword caesar salad, caesar salad recipe
Prep Time 10 minutes
Total Time 10 minutes
Servings 4 Bowls
Author Alyssa Rivers
- 3 cups romaine lettuce chopped
- 1/2 cup shaved or shredded parmesan cheese
- Homemade Croutons
- Caesar Dressing
In a large bowl add the romaine lettuce, shaved parmesan cheese, and homemade croutons. Toss with caesar dressing.
Calories: 55kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 203mg | Potassium: 99mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 3168IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 160mg | Iron: 1mg