Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder is loaded with tender?chicken, sweet corn, fresh tomatoes, a kick of spice?seasonings all simmered in a creamy, cheese blend that is so easy to make! It has just enough of a kick to it and the flavor is incredible.
Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder
I am loving fall and all things cooler temperatures bring on and that is making this Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder.
This chowder is one of favorites because of all the flavors and how easy it is to make.
It is a thick, rich and has a kick of spice chowder that will warm your family up this fall season.
The flavors all blend together so well and is a Mexican favorite in our home.
We love all things chowder, soup and warm once the weather begins to cool down.
This is a MUST make chowder that is quick and easy to make plus loaded with all the Mexican flavors!
What you need to make Mexican chicken corn chowder
One of the best parts about this recipe is that it is incredibly easy to make!
You literally just dump in a few cans and add some cheese and half and half and let it simmer.
I also used rotisserie chicken which made this recipe even easier to make. It came together within 5 minutes.
As soon as I took my first bite I was blown away! It was fantastic!
- Butter:?start by melting the butter to make a roux.
- Onion:?saut? the onion to make tender and add a crunchy texture and sweet flavoring.
- Jalape?o?pepper: a bit of a kick and remember to wear gloves!
- Garlic cloves: added garlic flavor. If needed you can substitute for garlic powder.
- Cumin: a nutty flavoring but adds a subtle spicy taste.
- Chicken broth:?adds in more flavoring and soup base.
- Half and half cream:?makes the chowder thick, rich and creamy.
- Mexican blend cheese: shredded from a bag or thinly shredded.
- Cream style corn: this makes your chowder extra creamy!
- Green chilies: has a spicy flavor to them. You can use mild chilies or leaving them out for kids.
- Tomatoes diced: super simple to drain and dump in the chowder.
- Chicken: chicken breast works great or even using a rotisserie chicken to save on time.
- Salt and pepper:?to taste!
- Tabasco sauce: for a little more added heat!
How to make Mexican chicken corn chowder
This is a simple recipe that won?t take long to make.
Savory and thick, rich chowder is the best of the best!
My family loves this Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder and devours it every time I make it.
We love all the flavors blended together and how filling it is for all of us.
Add some Jalape?o Cornbread ?to the side and enjoy the combination together.
This chowder is loaded with flavor and so quick and easy to throw together.
- Making the roux:?In a large pot or dutch oven add the butter and melt over medium high heat. Add onion, jalape?os, and garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes until tender. Add the cumin. Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Add in ingredients: Reduce the heat to low and add in the cream, shredded cheese, cream-style corm, green chilis, diced tomatoes, and chicken. Cook until the cheese has melted and all ingredients are heated through.
- Serve hot and enjoy:?Season with salt, pepper, tabasco sauce, and top with favorite toppings.
Don?t forget your toppings
My favorite part was being able to top it with my favorite toppings.
You can also crumble some cotija on top and add some cilantro, diced avocado, or whatever your heart desires.
Our entire family loved this soup and I know that you will too.
It is the perfect soup for a chilly day and you will make it again and again!
- Shredded jalape?o cheese
- Tortilla strips
- Squeeze of lime juice
- Fresh diced tomatoes
- Green onion
- Bacon pieces
What type of Corn is best?
Fresh or canned sweet cream corn is best for this recipe.
Frozen will work as well however, it does have a different textures and tends to not set up as well as fresh or canned.
We love the taste of sweet cream corn and all the flavors it has to offer.
It really adds so much to this chowder and wouldn?t be the same without it.
Enjoy this tried and true chowder this fall season!
- Fresh or homemade:?this is usually my first choice but to make it simple canned works just as great.
- Frozen: usually frozen corn does not hold up that well in the chowder and when reheating it breaks apart and becomes mushy. If you prefer frozen make sure that it is thawed before adding it to the chowder.
- Canned: make it easy on you and dump a can in the chowder for a quick and easy recipe.
Tips for making Mexican chicken corn chowder
This chowder is so versatile. It makes it easy to add in extra ingredients or substitute when needed.
For less of a spicy chowder you can omit or reduce the amount of spicy flavors.
My girls are younger and they both enjoyed it just fine the way it is but it does have a kick to it.
You can always leave out and add in a bit at a time as you are stirring to see what temperature you want to have it at.
We love making this soup and switching out ingredients depending on what we have in our panty.
Make this your own with these tips!
- Make sure to wear gloves when cutting your jalape?o up.
- If you like a little more hearty and thick soup try adding an extra can or fresh cut of regular corn kernels in for more chunkier chowder.
- Add in more vegetables like bell peppers, carrots or celery to the chowder.
- To save time, use a rotisserie chicken and shred it for the chicken.
- Black beans and rice are also a great way to add in a Mexican spin to your chowder.
- To thicken your chowder add in cream cheese or heavy cream instead of half and half.
- For thinner soup add in milk or more chicken broth.
Storing Mexican chicken corn chowder
I have tried saving this chowder each time we make it but it seems that I have an empty pot every time!
That is a great thing but it would always be fun to store it for the next day to warm up for lunch.
My boys are growing and their eating just continues to get bigger and bigger.
This is a family favorite because it is so thick, hearty and filling!
- Making ahead: this is a great chowder that you can make ahead or even during the day and let it sit warm on the stove top.
- Refrigerator:?after you make it, cool completely and store in an airtight container. It will last for about 5 days in the refrigerator.
- Frozen: it is not best to freeze corn chowder but it can be done. The texture of the chowder may be mushy or change when frozen. Cook your chowder and let it cool down completely. Store in an airtight ziplock baggie for about 1 month in the freezer. Let thaw in the refrigerator before warming up.
- Warming up:?when ready to warm up place your Mexican chicken corn chowder in a pot over the stove top and warm up slowly, stirring occasionally. For a quicker way of warming up, place a bowl full in a microwavable safe dish and microwave in increments of 1 to 2 minutes stirring in-between until it is hot. Serve and enjoy!
More Mexican soup recipes
- Crockpot Taco Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- White Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker Enchilada Soup
- Creamy Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder
Mexican Chicken Corn Chowder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups half and half cream
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese or 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 (14 ounce can) cream-style corn
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups chicken chopped and cooked, I used rotisserie
- salt and pepper to taste
- Tabasco sauce if desired for more of a kick
- In a large pot or dutch oven add the butter and melt over medium high heat. Add onion, jalape?o, and garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes until tender. Add the cumin. Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and add in the cream, shredded cheese, cream- style corm, green chilis, diced tomatoes, and chicken. Cook until the cheese has melted and all ingredients are heated through.
- Season with salt, pepper, tabasco sauce, and top with favorite toppings.
Updated on October 3, 2019
Original post on October 6, 2016