This sweet and savory lemon tart dessert is pure heaven and melts in your mouth with every bite! From the buttery shortbread crust, to the sweet and creamy lemon curd then topped with fresh fruit and powdered sugar, this dessert is rich and flavorful.
Lemon tart is made with my homemade fresh lemon curd in a buttery shortbread crust. Together, this lemony tart is the prefect combination!
Lemon Tart with a Buttery Shortbread Crust
The bright yellow color, the buttery crust and the lemony tart flavoring is one combination that you are going to love with this delicious and decadent dessert! Crisp buttery shortbread crust has a sweet taste and a soft crunch when taking a bite. The smooth and creamy lemon curd filling melts in your mouth for a heavenly taste. It is simply beautiful to look at and one amazing tart that you will fall in love with!
This tart is perfect to serve for brunch, showers or just for fun! It has a beautiful topping and can be made quickly. I was craving lemon curd and needed something to create and knew this was just what I needed. The buttery shortbread crust is to die for and compliments the sweet lemon curd perfectly. With only three ingredients for the crust, this tart recipe comes together quickly and easily. My homemade lemon curd is just as simple and completes this tart!
Homemade Lemon Tart Ingredients:
A few simple ingredients that will make this dessert the most delicious lemon tart recipe. Be ready to be amazed by this sweet and savory tart that will WOW you and your family.
- Powdered Sugar: Adding in sweetness to the crust.
- Flour: This is a filling and helps thicken and gives it the shortbread name.
- Butter: Gives the crust a buttery and smooth flavor as well as binds it all together.
- Recipe Lemon Curd: Follow the recipe for my lemon curd or use a store bought lemon curd for a quicker ingredient.
How to Make a Buttery Shortbread Crust:
It is as simple as 1,2,3! Make sure your crust is blended well. Simply bake it and while that is baking make the lemon curd. You will be impressed with how easily this all comes together. It is one amazing tart!
- Blend the Crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor add the powdered sugar, flour and butter. Pulse until combined.
- Bake: Press into the bottom of a 9 inch tart pan and poke the bottom with a fork. Bake for 10-12 or until golden brown. Remove from the oven.
- Lemon Curd Recipe: Make my lemon curd recipe. Pour into the bottom of the shortbread crust. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight until set.
The Recipe Critic Pro Tip:
Add a pan full of warm water on the lowest rack in your oven while the crust is baking. This helps add stem in the oven and prevents cracking in the crust plus makes it more moist.
Tips for Making the Best Lemon Curd:
- Crust: Make sure that the crust is completely cool before releasing them from the pan. Use a toothpick to help gently remove the edges. Wait to make sure it is cooled down before adding the lemon curd to it.
- Lemon Curd: If you don’t have time to make the lemon curd, simply use a premed lemon curd that is store-bought. There will be a slight difference in flavor but this tart will still taste amazing!
- Lemon Curd Recipe: It is best to make sure the eggs are fully whisked to prevent any lumps in the curd. The heat also needs to remain low while cooking. Follow my lemon curd recipe and it will be perfect!
- Mini Tarts: Making these for a shower or wedding, bite size mini tarts are also fun to make. Simply use smaller pans to create adorable mini tarts.
How to Decorate a Tart:
Celebrating a special occasion or just because this delicious tart is the perfect dessert for just about anything. It is light and tasty with a sweet and savory flavor. This tart can be fancy or plain but no matter what, it is heavenly!
- Whipped Cream: Use a dollop of whipped cream or pipe whipped cream around the edges creating a beautiful design.
- Powdered Sugar: Create stripes of powdered sugar or sprinkled over top.
- Fruit: The bright colors of berries over top the lemony yellow looks beautiful.
- Lemon: Add lemon slices over top.
How to Store a Lemon Tart:
This dessert is simple to make and recommended to be made the same day or 24 hours in advance. It is best not to make ahead to much since the crust and lemon curd is so fresh.
- Making Ahead: The crust and lemon curd can both be made separately up to 2 days ahead of time. Leave them separate until you are ready to serve. The lemon curd can be stored in an airtight or ziplock bag in the refrigerator. The crust can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container or bag depending which one it will easily store in without breaking.
- Serving: When ready to make, simple take the chilled lemon curd and fill the crust with the curd. Once it is filled it is best to serve immediately. The lemon curd is best served cold to hold its shape and won’t be too runny. If you are not serving right away, simply place it back in the refrigerator up to 5 hours. This will help the lemon curd firm up making it easier to cut through the tart.
- Can you Freeze a Lemon Tart? It is best not to freeze. Unfortunately, the crust will fall apart and break down being frozen.
More Delicious Lemon Desserts:
Lemon Tart with a Buttery Shortbread Crust
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 cup butter sliced
- 1 Recipe Lemon Curd
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor add the powdered sugar, flour and butter. Pulse until combined.
- Press into the bottom of a 9 inch tart pan and poke the bottom with a fork. Bake for 10-12 or until golden brown. Remove from the oven.
- Make one recipe for lemon curd. Pour into the bottom of the shortbread crust. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight until set.