Grilled zucchini is the perfect healthy summer side dish. The slices of squash are tossed in savory seasonings, then cooked until tender. It’s wonderful as a quick recipe to pair it with your favorite barbecued foods.
If you’re looking for a fast and healthy side dish for a barbecue feast, grilled zucchini is a tasty option. The squash is available year-round and cooks in under 10 minutes on the grill. Simply toss in your favorite seasonings, and cook until gorgeous charred marks appear on each side. I like to serve them with grilled burgers for the ultimate meal.
How Do You Make Grilled Zucchini?
- Cut the zucchini into ½-inch thick slices.
- Coat the vegetables with olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Grill the zucchini, uncovered, until dark lines appear.
- Flip the squash over and cook until tender.
Seasoning The Squash:
I like to keep the seasonings simple. Salt turns the bland vegetable into more savory bites. Garlic powder adds nice earthy aromatics to each bite. Black pepper adds just a hint of heat, however you could add red pepper flakes for a lingering spiciness.
Can You Cut The Squash Into Different Shapes?
Yes! You can slice the zucchini into sticks, or smaller discs. Just make sure that the vegetable is at least ½-inch thick. This prevents it from getting mushy easily, hold its shape, and not be so skinny that it falls through the grill grates.
How To Achieve Beautiful Char Marks:
What makes these grilled vegetables so enticing is the gorgeous marks running across the surface. There are a few keys to successful char marks. Make sure that the grill is preheated and oiled to prevent sticking. When adding the slices to the barbecue, place them on an angle to the grates, then lightly press down on them to make direct contact with the hot grill. Do not move or lift them up! Let them sear to get nice dark lines, then flip them over.
Ways To Flavor The Zucchini:
To add extra flavor to the zucchini, sprinkle it with some grated parmesan cheese or crunchy breadcrumbs. You can also drizzle some pesto sauce on top. Or dip in creamy tzatziki or ranch sauce.
Looking For More Grilling Recipes? Try These!
- 1 pound Zucchini about 2 large, cut into ½-inch thick pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus more for greasing grill
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- In a large bowl toss together the sliced zucchini, olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Preheat the grill or grill pan over medium heat. Clean the grill grates and grease with olive oil.
- Once the grill is hot, and the zucchini and cook until grill marks are achieved, about 4 to 5 minutes. Flip and grill until the vegetable is tender, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer zucchini to a serving dish, garnish with chopped parsley.