This easy 3 ingredient Chia Pudding is not only delicious and nutritious, this healthy breakfast takes just minutes to make.
Chia Seed Pudding
When I first worked out how simple chia pudding is to make, I was blown away. All that flavor, and knowing your body will thank you, all for just 3 ingredients, a bowl and a few minutes.
It’s versatile too! Use whatever milk you like, any sweetener you like and top it with your favorite toppings. You could have a new flavor every day.
3 Ingredient Chia Pudding
Chia pudding is a great source of fibre, protein, omega-3 fatty acids and anti-oxidants. They have even been linked to improved cardiovascular health and even lowering of LDL cholesterol, (source). Chia seeds absorb liquid and develop a gel that makes them perfect for thick puddings but also thickening sauces too.
- Chia seeds: Native to Mexico and eaten since ancient times (the Mayans and Aztecs believed they gave them strength), these little black or white seeds are nutritional power sources.
- Milk: I love the flavor of oat milk in this best but use regular milk, almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk …. The list goes on.
- Maple syrup: To give it a little sweetness. You could swap it for honey, agave syrup, rice malt syrup, monk fruit sweetener or jams and preserves.
How to Make Easy Chia Pudding
Making chia pudding is as simple as deciding what you want in it and mixing it together. That last point means you can make these ahead too so if you don’t like working out what to have for breakfast when you get up, make these days in advance.
- In a bowl, combine the milk, chia seeds and maple syrup, then give it a good mix around.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes in the fridge, then mix again and pour between two glasses. Make sure your glasses have some room to add a little topping too.
- Chill them for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Tips and Variations
- Thick Pudding: The thickness of the milk you use will determine how thick the pudding gets. Regular cows milk tends to be thinner than almond or coconut milk, for example, so the chia pudding will not be quite as thick.
- Blend Seeds: If you don’t like the texture of the whole seeds, once the seeds have softened, blend the mixture until smooth. The more powerful the blender, the smoother the result.
- Flavorings: try adding a tablespoon of cocoa powder for a chocolate version or 1-2 tablespoons of peanut butter. These may be easier to mix in if the milk is warmed slightly. How about vanilla using 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract or a little cinnamon?
- Different Milk: you can try everything from almond milk for a healthy breakfast to this homemade strawberry milk for an indulgent yet nutritional dessert.
Toppings for The Best Chia Pudding
Already so versatile by adding any flavors you like, you can also top your chia pudding to suit you. A combo I love is mango (a little pureed and a little in chunks) with some coconut flakes.
- Other chopped fruit
- Nuts or seeds
- Baby mint leaves or micro herbs
- Jam and preserves: Try this Homemade Strawberry Jam
- Shaved chocolate
- Cacao Nibs
- Coconut flakes
- Brown Sugar Cinnamon Baked Apples
How to Store Chia Pudding
Mason jars are the perfect storage vessel. The screw on lids keep them airtight, make them portable and you can eat the chia pudding directly from them. Stored airtight in the fridge like this, they will keep for 4-5 days.
More Power House Breakfast Recipes You Will Love
- Easy Homemade Maple Granola
- Coconut Blueberry Oatmeal
- Insanely Good Homemade Granola
- No-Bake Energy Bites aka Protein Poppers
- Keto Pancakes
Easy Chia Pudding
- 1 cup oat milk (notes)
- ⅓ cup chia seeds (black or white)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- In a small bowl, combine the milk, seeds and syrup. Mix well then chill for 10 minutes.
- Give the pudding another mix, then pour into jars. Chill for 2 hours or overnight.
- Add any toppings you like and serve.
- Milk: Oat milk is lovely but you can use any milk you prefer from dairy to plant-based.
- Maple syrup: You can swap this for other sweeteners. Honey, agave syrup or rice malt syrup are all good. Monkfruit sweetener is also good.
- Toppings: try it topped with yoghurt, berries, granola and / or nuts.