Chocolate Pie has an easy, homemade chocolate pudding that is the perfect pie filling! Smooth and creamy chocolate layered with sweet, vanilla whipped cream is the perfect dessert.
This velvety, decadent chocolate pudding pie is sure to please the entire family! Plus it’s so easy to make, and can be a no bake pie with simply substituting a graham cracker, or chocolate cookie pie crust. If you’re still needing some more chocolate inspiration make sure you check out this Death by Chocolate Cheesecake, Chocolate Lava Cakes and this Chocolate Torte.
Easy Chocolate Pudding Pie
It’s the season for pies, and this Chocolate Pudding Pie should top everyone’s list! It’s easy to make, and absolutely gorgeous. Plus this pie can be prepared in advance and stored in the refrigerator for 2-3 days before serving. Serve this pie with a scoop of homemade vanilla whipped cream and some extra chocolate shavings to make a beautiful presentation.
What is Chocolate Pie Made of?
The ingredients for this pie are simple and other than the chocolate bar, things you most likely already have in your pantry and refrigerator.
- Cornstarch: this is what thickens the pudding to make it firm enough to slice as a pie.
- Milk/Cream: this pie can be made with milk, whole milk is recommended. Adding a little bit of heavy cream to the pudding does add a rich, creaminess to the pudding and is highly recommended!
- Egg Yolks: save the whites for an Angel Food Cake or Chocolate Meringue Cookies!
- Butter: unsalted butter is used in the recipe. If using salted butter adjust the amount of salt in the pudding.
- Dark Chocolate: 70% is preferred for this pie recipe.
- Vanilla Extract
How to Make Chocolate Pie from Scratch
This chocolate pudding pie comes together quick and easy! And while the pictures show a homemade pie crust that has been blind baked, you can feel free to use a store bought crust, or use a graham cracker or chocolate cookie crust to make this a no bake pie.
If making your own pie crust, I recommend this Easy Butter Pie Crust recipe, and since this pie has a no bake filling, the pie crust will need to be blind baked, instructions for this are included in the pie crust post. After baking the pie crust, be sure to allow time for the crust to cool down before pouring the filling inside. While the pie crust is cooling you can prepare the pudding filling:
- Combine cornstarch, sugar, and salt.
- Pour in milk/cream and add eggs. Whisk this all together until it’s smooth.
- Bring to a boil while whisking constantly, this allows the pudding to cook without creating clumps from the egg.
- Once the pudding is nice and thick, remove from the heat, add the butter, chocolate and vanilla extract. Stir this together while the butter and chocolate melt.
- Pour the chocolate pudding filling into the pre-baked pie crust.
- Allow to chill in refrigerator for at least 6 hours, preferably overnight.
How to Store Homemade Chocolate Pie
This pie is made with a pudding base and will need to be stored in the refrigerator. Cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. This is a great pie to prepare ahead of time. This allows the pie to chill and firm up before serving. Due to the pudding in the pie I do not recommend freezing this pie.
More Pie Recipes to Enjoy
Chocolate Pie. Easy, homemade chocolate pudding is the perfect pie filling! Smooth and creamy chocolate layered with sweet, vanilla whipped cream is the perfect dessert.
Keyword chocolate pie, chocolate pudding pie
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Chilling Time 6 hours
Total Time 6 hours 15 minutes
Servings 8 Slices
Author Serene Herrera
- 1 pie crust
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- 1 adn ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 and ½ cups whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 6 ounces dark chocolate chopped, (70% cocoa)
- 2 Tablespoon butter unsalted
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- whipped cream
- dark chocolate chopped
Chocolate Pudding Pie Filling
Add the egg yolks, milk and heavy cream. Whisk to combine.
Heat over medium heat while whisking constantly until mixture starts to bubble around the edges and pudding thickens. Cook while stirring until thick with a pudding consistency.
Remove pudding from the heat and stir in the dark chocolate, butter, and vanilla. Stir until combined and all chocolate and butter is melted. Mixture should be smooth.
Pour pie filling into the prepared pie crust. Smooth the top. Place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 6 hours.
After chilling, serve pie topped with whipped cream and extra chopped chocolate if desired.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 522kcal | Carbohydrates: 61g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 134mg | Sodium: 233mg | Potassium: 294mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 40g | Vitamin A: 569IU | Calcium: 127mg | Iron: 3mg