This Pineapple Cake recipe is made from scratch with crushed pineapple and topped with whipped cream for a light but decadent treat!
Pineapple desserts always make me think of warmer weather!If you love pineapple desserts as much as we do, you’ll also love these Pineapple Upside-Down Cupcakes, this Pineapple Cheesecake Cake, or these easy Dole Pineapple Whips!
This Pineapple Cake has a fresh, tropical flavor that is perfect with whipped cream, ice cream or even whipped coconut cream is a fantastic addition. It’s easy to make and loved by everyone! Around here, we love Pineapple in everything and this delicious cake never lasts long!
It is moist and fluffy, with a mild pineapple flavor and crushed pineapple baked right in. It is such a great, fruity cake for spring, with some whipped cream and fresh fruit. One of the best things about this homemade cake is how easy it is to make. Because we use oil and not butter, the batter can be stirred together with a whisk in one bowl, and using canned pineapple makes it doable even if you’re out of fresh! With just 10 minutes of prep time, you can have this beautiful Pineapple Cake on the table in no time!
How to make Pineapple Cake:
- Grab a large bowl and a whisk — that’s all you’re going to need! Preheat the oven because this cake batter is a cinch to whip up!
- Stir together the fat (in this case, our oil) and the sugar — always the best way to start any batter or dough!
- Add the rest of the wet ingredients and stir well.
- Stir in the dry ingredients, slowly but thoroughly until they’re incorporated.
- Spread into your pan and bake! Hang impatiently around the kitchen waiting for it to bake.
- Cool and serve with whipped cream.
Variations on this Homemade Cake:
- You could add coconut extract to this Pineapple Cake for a fun tropical twist!
- Top this Pineapple with whipped cream, or mix things up and use whipped coconut cream, or a flavored buttercream (pineapple, coconut or strawberry would all be amazing!).
- Top with fresh berries, or stir some in before baking! Strawberries, blueberries and raspberries would all be great with this pineapple cake.
- Make a layer cake! This cake recipe can be baked in 3 8″ or 9″ round cake pans without adapting the recipe. You will need to adjust the bake time to 18-20 minutes.
How to Store Pineapple Cake:
I always prefer to store fruit desserts in the refrigerator if it’s going to be more than a few hours, as fruit adds a lot of moisture that can cause baked goods to spoil more quickly.
If you’re serving this Pineapple Cake the day you bake it, leave it on the counter, and let it cool to room temperature before topping and serving.
If you are serving in a few days, I recommend storing in the fridge and removing from the fridge just before serving.
This Pineapple Cake freezes perfectly for up to 3 months. Just let cool to room temperature before wrapping tightly and freezing. Let sit at room temperature for 3-4 hours to thaw.
More Pineapple Desserts You’ll Love:
- Pineapple Pretzel Salad
- Delicious Pineapple Coconut Cake
- Pineapple Cheesecake Dessert Bars
- Caramelized Brown Sugar Cinnamon Grilled Pineapple
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour 295g fluffed and levelled
- 2 cups crushed pineapple with juice (1 540ml or 19oz can)
- sweetened whipped cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a 9×13″ baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, sour cream and sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in baking powder, baking soda and salt until completely combined.
- Whisk in flour until just incorporated. Slowly stir in pineapple with a spatula.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes, covering the cake with foil at 20-25 minutes if darkening quickly (once your cake is light golden brown, you want to cover it to prevent further browning)
- Let cake cool to room temperature before serving with sweetened whipped cream and toasted coconut if desired.