These easy breakfast enchiladas are SO GOOD! They are filled with sausage, eggs, and salsa and are covered with the best sauce. You won’t be able to stop at just one!
I love a good savory breakfast option! These enchiladas really hit the spot with all of the eggs, sausage, and salsa! Plus. they are so easy and delicious that my kids ask for them ALL the time. And when my kids ask for something then I deliver! Not only are these enchiladas so good but you can easily change them up to make them exactly what you need! You can make them with all veggies, change up the meat, add some bacon and change up the type of salsa that you use!
Because these are so easy to make and change them up! They are on our breakfast rotation all the time! Use these homemade tortillas to make them extra delicious. And not only that, they are super filling so I am not wanting to snack by 10:00 am. Go ahead and give these a try. Your kids will thank you for them later! Oh, and did I mention that you can make these the night before? It doesn’t get much better than that! See the box below to find out how to prepare them ahead of time!
Ingredients in Breakfast Enchiladas
Like I said before, you can add or take away whatever ingredients you want and make these perfect just for you! But here is a good place to start. See the recipe card below for exact ingredient measurements.
- Turkey sausage: I used turkey sausage but you can use any pork or breakfast sausage that you love!
- Salsa: I like to use chunky salsa because then I can taste the individial veggies in every bite!
- Eggs: The eggs get scrambled and mixed in and are so delicious!
- Salt: This is used to enhance the flavor of all of the other ingredients!
- Pepper: This brings all the flavor but isn’t enough to have any heat.
- Onion powder: I like using this instead of regular onions because it blends so well.
- Mexican cheese: You can use Monterey Jack cheese if you have that instead!
- Four tortillas: You can use storebought or these amazing homemade tortillas!
- Heavy cream: This is what makes the sauce soo creamy!
- Salsa verde: You can also use a can of green enchilada sauce.
- Cilantro: This is optional!
- Avocado, diced tomatoes, green onion, cilantro: These are a few ideas that you can put on top!
Let’s Make Some Enchiladas!
These breakfast enchiladas are super easy and take less than an hour to make… and that includes baking time!
- Coat with salsa: Coat the bottom of the prepared pan with ¼ cup salsa verde.
- Warm and fill tortillas: You can warm the tortillas for 20 seconds in the microwave to make rolling easier! Then, fill each tortilla with about ½ cup of the sausage and egg mixture. Sprinkle a small amount of shredded cheese over the filling before rolling the tortilla tightly. Place the rolled tortilla into the prepared pan with the seam side down. Repeat until the baking dish is full. You might have leftover filling depending how full you fill the tortillas.
- Add sauce and cheese to top: Pour the enchilada sauce evenly over the enchiladas and then top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake and garnish: Bake for 25 minutes or until golden and bubbly. When they are done, take them out and garnish with avocado, green onion, diced tomatoes, and cilantro!
If you’re like me then you will love these breakfast enchiladas and make them a LOT! And the reason why I do is that I can change it up to be different every time! Here are some ideas that you can try to do the same.
- Toppings: Change up what you put on top! I love using red or orange bell peppers, diced mango, red onions, roasted cauliflower, or zucchini!
- Use different tortillas: If you don’t love flour tortillas then you can use corn tortillas instead! Here is a recipe for homemade corn tortillas.
- Change up the meat: The beauty of this recipe is that you can mix and match with whatever you have on hand! Use ground turkey, Italian sausage or pork or ground beef. You could even use cooked bacon!
How to Make These Ahead of Time
It’s super easy to make these breakfast enchiladas ahead of time! Just follow the recipe but before you bake it (and WITHOUT the sauce), put it in a sealed, airtight container and put them in the fridge. When you are ready to cook them, mix up the enchilada sauce and put it on. Bake it according to the directions and voila! You have a delicious breakfast that is ready to eat in less than 25 minutes!
Breakfast is the best because you can cook sweet and savory options that appear to everyone! I also love a good brunch where I can make all sorts of recipes and enjoy them at the same time! Here are a few ideas for you to try that your whole family will love! They are all pretty different so you should be able to find a little something for everyone!
Amazing Breakfast Enchiladas
- 1 pound turkey sausage (any pork or breakfast sausage)
- 1/2 cup jarred chunky salsa
- 8 large eggs beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion powder
- 2 cups shredded Mexican or monterey jack cheese divided
- 8 8-inch flour tortillas additional if needed
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/4 cups salsa verde or green enchilada sauce divided
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- diced tomatoes
- green onion
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 13×9 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, cook the sausage over medium-high heat until fully cooked. About 5-7 minutes. Drain the oil from the pan. Add ½ cup chunky salsa to the meat. Stir to combine. Remove the sausage mixture from the pan and set it aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt, pepper, and onion powder. Add a couple of tablespoons of water to the mixture to help make your eggs fluffy.
- Cook the eggs in the same pan as the sausage. Cook over medium heat until the eggs are scrambled. Add the cooked sausage mixture to eggs, and stir until all the ingredients are combined.
- Prepare the enchilada sauce by whisking or blending together the salsa verde, heavy cream, and cilantro.
- Coat the bottom of the prepared pan with ¼ cup salsa verde.
- You can warm the tortillas for 20 seconds in the microwave to make rolling easier if you would like. Fill each tortilla with about ½ cup of the sausage and egg mixture. Sprinkle a small amount of shredded cheese over the filling before rolling the tortilla tightly. Place the rolled tortilla into the prepared pan with the seam side down. Repeat until the baking dish is full. Additional filling may be leftover depending on how full you fill the tortillas.
- Pour the enchilada sauce evenly over the enchiladas, and top with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Garnish with avocado, green onion, diced tomatoes, and cilantro if desired.
-White flour, whole wheat tortillas, or corn tortillas can be used.
-Egg whites or a mixture of eggs and egg whites can be used.
-Look for chunky jarred salsa with green chillies and/or peppers for added flavor.
-This recipe is so versatile. You can add black beans, cooked onions and peppers, cooked hash browns…any kind of breakfast or Mexican ingredient that you desire.
-An additional pan and tortillas may be needed depending on how much filling is leftover.